Thrive in an LGBT-Friendly Senior Living Community that Cultivates Diversity and Inclusion
Artis Senior Living of Lakeview is committed to fostering a culture of belonging and inclusion that celebrates diversity and creates meaningful connections. No matter where you are in your journey through retirement, you can trust our LGBT-friendly senior living community to honor your individuality and accept you for who you are.
Here are just a few ways we make our community inclusive:
- Discrimination-free housing policies
- Inclusive services and amenities
- LGBT resources and support
- Partnerships with LGBT organizations like LGBT Chamber of Commerce Illinois
- Support for resident-led LGBT clubs and committees
- Maintaining our prestigious platinum-status SAGECare credential through continuous inclusivity training
- Safe and supportive healthcare settings that respect privacy, protect confidentiality and make it easier to discuss health concerns
- Zero tolerance for discrimination and harassment
What is SAGECare?
SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of LGBT older adults. SAGECare is a nationwide cultural competency and inclusivity training program for healthcare organizations, senior living communities, home health providers, and anyone else providing care services to older adults.
SAGECare training helps care providers create more LGBT-welcoming communities and SAGECare credentials help people find those trained providers.
What’s Included with SAGECare Training?
SAGECare training focuses on the needs, concerns, and unique history of LGBT older adults, as well as steps our care partners can take to immediately improve the quality of support and services they provide to our residents.
Training includes topics such as:
- Best practices for creating welcoming LGBT communities
- The rights and protections extended to LGBT residents
- In-depth explanation of the terms lesbian, gay and transgender
- The unique needs of LGBT older adults
- Incorporating LGBT training courses into person-directed care
How Long Are SAGECare Credentials Valid?
SAGECare credentials are valid for the year in which they are earned and the following calendar year. To keep our credentials, each care partner must complete at least one hour of training annually. Tokeep our Platinum credential, our Executive Directors, Directors, and Support Team must complete four hours of training every three years.
Why Is Inclusivity Training Important at Senior Living Communities?
A recent survey conducted by AARP found that 88% of LGBT adults would feel more comfortable in a senior living community where care partners and support teams were specifically trained in providing care for LGBT older adults, and 1 in 3 older adults worry they may have to conceal their identity to have equal access to senior living communities.
Artis Senior Living of Lakeview is an LGBT-friendly senior living community that is committed to creating an inviting and diverse environment where each one of our residents can be themselves. From maintaining our platinum-level SAGECare credential to creating inclusive engagement programs, we’re dedicated to the LGBT older adults who call Lakeview home.
Browse our images and videos to see our community and hear what residents have to say.